Embassy of Belgium in Singapore
Home Consular services Registration of marriage

Registration of marriage

To register your marriage, solemnized in Singapore, at the Embassy, following documents are required:

  • Copy of passport of both partners
  • Registration form of non-Belgian partner
  • Legalized extract of the marriage certificate, issued less than 1 year ago
  • Certificate of civil status for the non-Belgian partner, issued by his/her national authorities (i.e. Embassy, High Commission) in Singapore

The procedure to obtain a legalized extract of the marriage certificate is as follows:

1. Apply for a non-laminated “Certified copy of an entry in a Marriage Register” directly at the competent authority.

The original Marriage certificate is for your own records, please keep it in a safe place.

Please ensure that the heading of the document that you will submit at the Embassy looks like this:

Certified copy of an entry in a Marriage Register

Apply for the certificate at the following address:

Registry of Marriages (ROM)
7 Canning Rise 
Singapore 179869 
Tel. : +65 6338 7808   


Family Court of Singapore
3 Havelock Square 
Singapore 059725 
Tel. : +65 6435 5110 

 This “Certified copy of an entry in a Marriage Register” needs to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) of Singapore, available directly from the consular counter.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Consular Service Counter) 
Tanglin, Singapore 248163 
Tel: 6379 8000 

After legalization by the MFA, this extract will also be legalized by the Embassy. Click here for the list of Consular fees.

The Embassy will then register your marriage in the Belgian Population Register. This might take up to two working days. After registration is completed, all original documents will be returned to you. A copy will be kept in your file.

The Embassy strongly advises you to transcribe the marriage certificate in the Civil Status Registers in Belgium. This will allow you to, in the future, apply for an extract of the marriage certificate at your commune in Belgium. When transcription was not done, the extract will always need to be obtained from the competent Singaporean Authorities, which can be difficult after leaving Singapore. More information can be found here. Documents used to transcribe your certificate in the Civil Status Registers need to be submitted within 6 months after issue date.

When you are not registered with our Embassy, or your marriage was not solemnized in Singapore, kindly contact us via email for more information.