Registration of birth
To register a Belgian newborn, born in Singapore within a marriage that has been registered in the Belgian national registry, at the Embassy, following documents are required:
- original of the “Notification of live birth” (document issued by the hospital immediately after birth),
- copy of passport of both parents,
- copy of any other passport of the child, should it also have another nationality,
- registration form for the baby (signed by both parents) in Dutch, French or German,
- legalized extract of the birth certificate, issued less than 1 year ago.
The Embassy requires a ‘Certificate of Extract’ of the birth certificate. The original Birth certificate is for your own records, please keep it in a safe place.
The procedure to obtain a legalized extract of the birth certificate is as follows:
1. Apply for a non-laminated “Certificate of Extract from Register of Births” at the Registry of Births & Deaths or on their website:
Registry of Births & Deaths Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA)
Citizen Services Centre
3rd Storey, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road (Next to Lavender MRT station)
Tel : +65 6391 6100
Please ensure that the heading of the document that you will submit at the Embassy looks like this:
2. This extract needs to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) of Singapore. You will have to make an appointment for this.
After legalization by the MFA, this extract will also be legalized by the Embassy. Click here for the list of Consular fees.
The Embassy will then register your child in the Belgian Population Register. This might take up to 2 working days. After registration is completed, all original documents will be returned to you. A copy will be kept in your file. Upon registration of your newborn, a passport application can be submitted at the same time. More information about passport applications can be found on our passport page.
The Embassy strongly advises you to transcribe the birth certificate in the Civil Status Registers in Belgium. This will allow you to, in the future, apply for an extract of the birth certificate at your commune in Belgium. When transcription was not done, the extract will always need to be obtained from the Singaporean Registry of Births and Deaths, which can be difficult after leaving Singapore. More information can be found here. Documents used to transcribe your certificate in the Civil Status Registers need to be submitted within 6 months after issue date.
Kindly contact us via email in following cases:
- You are Belgian but not registered at our Embassy.
- You are Belgian but not born in Belgium.
- Your child is not born in Singapore.
- You are not married.
- Your marriage is not registered.