Visa for Belgium

All information on applying for a visa to Belgium.

Long stay visa

Information on the long stay visa (more than 90 days), visa D.
  1. Last updated on
  2. Last update changes

    Family reunion with a Belgian: when spouse is self-employed the visa application must be processed by the Belgian Immigration. The time for examining the visa can be up to 6 months.

The Embassy of Belgium in Singapore handles long stay visa applications to Belgium. For long stay applications to Luxemburg, an original letter from the authorities in Luxemburg is necessary; for more information you can consult the website of the Luxembourg government


All nationals who wish to stay for more than 90 days in Belgium, need to apply for a visa D, unless if you are either a citizen of the European Union or a citizen of one of the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway and Switzerland.


Applications have to be done in person, we encourage you to come as soon as possible to lodge your application. Depending on your personal situation timings may vary. We suggest you to do the submission at least 1 month before your intended departure date.

For some visa applications the Embassy is required to transfer the file to the Immigration Office in Belgium. Decisions can take longer and timings are unpredictable. To check timings, you can visit their website, the info is only available in Dutch or French. Please consult the Immigration Office website for more information.


A Visa D allows you to travel to Belgium. Once you have arrived you will need to register with the commune where you are living to obtain a residence permit.

The Visa D also allows you to travel to other Schengen countries for a maximum of 3 months in a 6 month period of time.


First you need to complete your visa application form online via Visa-On-Web. You will need to create a user account by completing all fields (first name, last name, email). After submission of your application form, you are redirected to the EAppointment site by clicking on the ‘Make Appointment’ button on the bottom of the application page.

Then you will need to come to the Embassy with the relevant checklist and all documents in the order of the checklist at your scheduled appointment time. Please come to the Embassy 15 minutes early as you will need to register for a visitor pass at the entrance of the building.

You will need to make a personal appearance to submit the visa application.  Minors who wish to accompany their parents for a long stay will also need to appear personally, regardless of their age.

Lodging your visa application will take approximately 20 minutes. If at the time of your application your file is incomplete, you will need to book a new appointment. 

From 1st of December 2018 your fingerprints and facial image (as from 6 years of age) will be captured and stored in a national database for 10 years.

Before submitting your application you will need to have paid the administrative fee or show that you qualify for exemption.  Without this document, the visa application cannot be accepted. Please consult the forms for more information. 


If documents are issued by a foreign authority, it is likely that a legalization is needed. 

  1. For documents issued in Singapore, for example: a COC, Extract of birth/marriage certificate,… a legalization with Apostille by the Singapore Academy of Law (see useful addresses) is necessary. Further legalization by the Belgian consular post is not required. Also check our website.
  2. For documents issued in Belgium or the EU, an extra legalization is usually not necessary.
  3. For documents issued outside the EU, a legalization is required. This can either be a legalization or an Apostille. To verify you can contact the relevant embassy of Belgium in the country where the document was issued. Or you can check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Belgium.

The legalization need to be issued less than 6 months ago and documents that are not in French, Dutch, German or English need to be translated by a translator recognised by the Embassy. Translations must then be legalized by the Embassy. Fees apply. The list of the recognised translators can be consulted.


1. Register your arrival

When you are issued a visa D, you will have to register with the administration of the commune/municipality where you will be residing in Belgium. This needs to be done within 8 days of your arrival in Belgium; to apply for a residence permit. 

2. Willingness to integrate in Belgian society - New general condition of stay from 25.01.2017

The efforts towards integration in Belgian society by a foreigner who is admitted to or permitted to a stay of more than 3 months in Belgium will henceforth be verified by the Immigration Office (FPS Interior)

We strongly recommend that you consult the website of the Immigration Office for a detailed explanation regarding this new general condition of stay.