Visa for Belgium

All information on applying for a visa to Belgium.

Visa FAQ

Frequently asked questions about the visa.
  1. Last updated on

I will have a few hours transit at the airport of Belgium, do I need to apply for a transit visa (Type A)?

To check, please consult the Immigration Office website

Please note that an airport transit visa only allows a short stay in the international transit area. Leaving the airport's international transit area or staying overnight in a hotel is not possible.

Do I need to make an appointment for the visa application?

Yes, walk-ins are not accepted.

Do I need to come in person to submit the visa application?


Does a child also have to come in person for the visa application?

A child below 6 years old does not need to come in person for application of Visa C, for Visa D applications, a child will need to be present regardless of their age.

Do I have to leave my passport with the Embassy during the visa procedure?

  • For Schengen visa (Type C) applicants: you have to leave your passport at the Embassy during the whole processing time.
  • For long term visa (Type D) applicants: you may want to get back your passport a few days after the visa submission. In this case you will have to return your passport and leave it again at the Embassy for 1-2 working days before getting it back with the visa.

Can someone else pick up the visa on my behalf?

Yes. The person who collects the visa on your behalf must present the “payment & collection slip” which is given to you at the time of submission, as well as an authorisation letter from you.

Collection time is during visa office opening hours, see address and opening hours.

Can I submit the visa application even though I do not have all the required documents?

Visa applications will only be accepted if ALL documents are complete and in order of the list of requirements.

I travel often to Belgium and other Schengen countries, can I request for a multiple entry visa with a long period of validity?

Yes. Please note that there is no legal right to a visa and visas are issued at the discretion of the Embassy.

Do I need to have a translation done if the document is not in French, Dutch, German or English?

Documents that are not in French, Dutch, German or English must be translated by a translation company recognized by the Embassy of Belgium (list of translators).

I plan to visit Belgium next year, when can/should I apply for a Short stay visa?

A visa C application can be submitted up to 6 months in advance, you should apply at least 3 weeks before your trip starts, taking into account national holidays of Belgium and Singapore.

I need to go to Luxembourg, can I submit my Schengen visa application at the Embassy of Belgium in Singapore?

Yes, the Embassy of Belgium in Singapore represents Luxembourg and therefor issues visas on its behalf.

I am not residing in Singapore. Can I still submit the visa application with the Embassy of Belgium in Singapore?

The Embassy of Belgium in Singapore only accepts visa applications from applicants who hold a valid resident permit in Singapore (PR / Employment Pass / Dependant's Pass / Student Pass / LTVP) or from Singaporeans.

Applicants who are temporary visitors such as tourists, short-term business travelers and foreigners transiting in Singapore who require a Schengen visa to enter Belgium must submit their visa application in their home countries at the Embassy or Consulate of Belgium.

Where should I apply for my visa?

Short stay visa (1 to 90 days):

  • If the travel destination is one Schengen Member States, you have to apply at the Embassy or Consulate of this State.
  • If the travel destination includes more than one Schengen Member States, the application must be submitted to the Embassy or Consulate of the main destination. The main destination is the destination where the applicant intends to spend the longest time or where the main purpose of the intended journey is carried out.
  • If no main destination can be determined, the Embassy or Consulate of the Schengen Member States whose external border the applicant intends to cross first must deal with the application.

Long stay visa (more than 90 days):

  • You can apply at the Belgian Embassy or Consulate of your country of origin or country of residence.

List of Schengen countries in Singapore and its representations

A short stay Schengen visa is valid for the entire Schengen area:

  • Austria (AT) - Represented by France
  • Belgium (BE)
  • Czech Republic (CZ) - Represented by Hungary
  • Denmark (DK)
  • Estonia (EE) - Represented by Hungary
  • Finland (FI) - Represented by Denmark
  • France (FR)
  • Germany (DE)
  • Greece (GR) - Represented by France
  • Hungary (HU)
  • Iceland (IS) - Represented by Denmark
  • Italy (IT)
  • Latvia (LV) - Represented by Hungary
  • Liechtenstein (LI) - Represented by Switzerland
  • Lithuania (LT) - No representation in Singapore
  • Luxembourg (LU) - Represented by Belgium
  • Malta (MT) - Represented by Italy
  • Netherlands (NL)
  • Norway (NO) - Represented by Denmark
  • Poland (PL)
  • Portugal (PT) - Represented by Germany
  • Slovakia (SK)
  • Slovenia (SI) - Represented by Spain
  • Spain (ES)
  • Sweden (SE) - Represented by Denmark
  • Switzerland (CH)

Can I pay by cash, Cheque or NETS?

The Embassy only accepts payment by credit card : visa or mastercard only.

What is the visa processing time once the visa application has been declared admissible?

No visa can be issued on the spot. Applicants shall take into consideration the schedule for visa application to avoid delay.

For Short stay visa (Type C):

  • 7 to 10 working days in general.
  • At least 8 weeks for cases that are required to be sent to the Immigration Service at Federal Public Service Home Affairs in Brussels for decision.  The Embassy cannot give any precisions on the time taken to process an application referred and transferred for decision to the Immigration Service and to the Ministry of Interior in Brussels.
  • 2 to 3 weeks for nationalities that are on the list of countries requiring a mandatory prior consultation with the Schengen member states. No visas can be issued before the result of the consultation is received. Therefore complete applications must be lodged at least 3 weeks prior the planned departure date.

For Long stay visa (Type D):

  • 7 to 10 working days in general  for visas based on Work permit, Professional card, study with enrolment from a Belgian university or institution of higher education, organized, recognized or subsidized by the Belgian public authorities. This in case referral to the Ministry of Interior in Brussels is not required.
  • In case visa files need to be referred and transferred to the Ministry of Interior in Brussels for decision, a decision will be given and notified within 9 months. However this may be extended to 2 X 3 months if further investigation proves necessary.
  • The Embassy cannot give any precisions on the time taken to process an application referred and transferred for decision to the Immigration Service and to the Ministry of Interior in Brussels. The Immigration Service provides a tool to follow your visa application once it has been transferred for decision.

I already received my visa but I changed my plan and wish to stay longer in Belgium, can I extend my visa?

Once the visa is issued, the duration and the validity dates cannot be changed.

I have been issued a Schengen visa, do I automatically have the right to enter the territory of the Schengen States?

No. The holder of a Schengen visa will still be checked by the immigration upon arrival and may be requested to produce again documents justifying the purpose and conditions of the intended stay and that you have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the period of the intended stay and for the return to the country of origin or transit to a third state, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully. Please click here for more details.

I will be staying in Belgium for professional reasons. Do I need a work permit?

In principle, yes. Non-Belgian nationals must hold a work permit to be authorised to exercise a professional activity in Belgium.

If you are not a Belgian national, the company or organisation that invites you must take the necessary steps with the competent regional authority before your arrival in Belgium. The work permit (type B) you will obtain, applies for that specific employer, for that specific occupation and for a maximum duration of 12 months, which is renewable.

You are not authorised to start exercising your professional activity as long as you do not hold the required work permit.

Please consult the site of the regions for more information on the procedure to follow for an employment permit and a work permit B application, on the conditions under which a worker benefits from a work permit exemption, on specific categories of workers benefiting from a work permit exemption, on the labour market in Belgium and the sectors where occupations are in short supply, etc:

I received a Belgian work permit (Blue colour Card) from my counterpart in Belgium and it is valid for 1 month. Can I apply for a long term visa (Type D visa) based on the Belgian work permit?

No, you will need to apply for a short visa (Type C visa) following the list of requirements for business trip only if your nationality requires a Schengen visa to enter Belgium.

If you receive a Belgian work permit valid for 90 days or more, you will need to apply for a Type D visa based on your work permit.

Diplomatic, official or other types of passports holders

Above information applies to holders of ordinary passports. Holders of diplomatic or official passports, or any other travel documents, are kindly requested to contact the Visa section: 
Tel: + (65) 6220 7677